Ten Rainy Day Activities for Kids
If you’ve got the grandkids for the day and your plans to go to the local splash pad have been rained out, check out these 10 rainy day activities from Lorena Canals Washable Rugs.
- Bring the excitement of camping home. Schedule an indoor “camp out” with sleeping bags, a tent, board games and S’mores. Camping inside is a fun and simple way to unplug and reconnect!2. Help kids get a good stretch by striking some yoga poses. It promotes body awareness, balance, posture and concentration. Yoga is a great rainy day activity because you don’t need anything other than a bit of space.3. Tea parties make rainy days more fun! Get all dressed up and host your own fancy tea party (be sure to invite the dolls and stuffed animals).
4. Make shaving cream sculptures in the sink. Squirt some shaving cream in the sink and just let kids have fun. Add food coloring if you like. You might want to put them in an old shirt, as this activity will get messy!
5. Kids, and most adults, love anything that involves bubble wrap! Roll out the bubble wrap carpet and let your kids walk the “runway.” Make a hopscotch grid with squares of bubble wrap or tape bubble wrap to the floor in a line and let kids use toy cars down their new road.
6. Play balloon tennis. All you need is a balloon, two paper plates and two craft sticks. The match can now begin!
7. Tap into your grandkids’ dress-up trunk or bring out their old Halloween costumes for some photo fun!
8. Build a fun, Jenga-style tower game with sponge pieces.
9. Try a freeze dance. All you need is music, and the only guideline is to freeze when the music is paused. Encourage kids to “freeze” in fun poses or with funny faces. Use a variety of musical styles and tempos.
10. Make an indoor sandbox. Get a large container and fill it with shaped pasta, dried beans or uncooked rice. Spread a washable rug underneath to catch any mess.
Regardless of the activity, kids playing inside can lead to a bit of a mess from arts and crafts or spilled snacks and drinks. Check out Lorena Canals at lorenacanals.us for washable rugs that help you clean up the mess.